- "He's a hunter... he can't be an environmentalist!"
- "He eats meat... he can't be an environmentalist!"
- "She's praying... she can't be an environmentalist!"
- et cetera
Of course, protection can be a very broad idea, ranging from the stereotypical image of a tree-hugger wrapping him or herself around a tree to keep it from being cut, to Ducks Unlimited working to keep lands developed that they wish to use for hunting, to recycling one's waste. If you feel that the environment is worth protecting, even in some small way, and even if only as a means to another ends, then you, too, are an environmentalist. With that, let me list some of what I do. It's not much, but every little bit helps, eh? I'm not trying to brag... trust me, this isn't much.
- I recycle my aluminum and glass.
- I don't buy lots of small plastic junk.
- I use packaging as packing materials when I move.
- I turn of the lights, and my monitors, when I go to bed or leave my room. If I remember, I also turn off my speakers.
- I use resusable containers (like Tupperware) rather than lots of plastic wrap.
At any rate, hopefully you can think about whether you are an environmentalist or not. I wish to show people that the label doesn't have to be anywhere near as narrow as most people think. Are you an environmentalist?